Pre-enrolment FAQs for new students enrolment

How does university pre-enrolment work?

Please read the FAQs on the Catalan Government website.

Download the PDF on university pre-registration (Spanish version).

Where can I find information on how places are awarded?

Please read the FAQs on how places are awarded on Catalan Government website.

When do I have to enrol?

Once you have been awarded a definitive place at ESCI-UPF, you will receive a welcome email (at the email address you gave on the University Access Portal) with the day and time you have been assigned. You can also check your enrolment day and time here

What should I do if I have been awarded a place at ESCI-UPF but I have not received an email with my assigned enrolment day and time?

Check on the search engine and come on the day and time you have been assigned.

Your username is the passport or ID card number you used when you registered with the Pre-enrolment Office (Spanish ID number including any letters, passport number, NIE or other ID card). The default password is your birthday in ddmmyyyy format.

If you can’t find your data using the search engine, remember that you will only be called to enrol once your place is definitive. Check the enrolment timetable.

Where do I go to enrol?

You should enrol in person at ESCI-UPF on the assigned day.

What happens if I don’t enrol on the assigned day?

You will lose your place. If this happens, you should call Academic Management urgently on 93 295 47 10.

I have been admitted after starting a course at another university. When can I enrol?

Read the Regulations on the admission of students who have started university studies. Remember that if you have passed more subjects that you want recognised, you will need to bring along a new academic transcript and the corresponding documentation required for recognition.

How does the system of allocating and reallocating places work and how do I enrol in each case?

You will find full information on how the system of allocating and reallocating places works and how you should enrol on the Catalan Government’s University Channel.

I have requested to Check PAU Scores or Recheck PAU Subjects. How does this affect my place allocation or enrolment?

Read the information provided on PAU Scores and Remarks.

I cannot come to enrol in person. Can I send someone else in my place?

You can authorise someone else to come as your representative. The authorised person should bring their valid ID (original and photocopy) and all the necessary enrolment documentation and information. You can download the authorisation (Catalan version) and review the required documents for the enrolment process.

Can I bring someone along with me when I enrol?

Only students who have come to enrol will be allowed into the enrolment area. If you bring someone along with you, this person (and no more than one person) will have to wait in a designated waiting area.

What documents should I bring with me when I enrol?

Read the full list of required documents on the Enrolment for New Students webpage.

Do I have to enrol on subjects for all my first-year credits?

If you are in employment or meet the criteria set out in the Regulations for part-time students, you can request to take the part-time option of enrolling for only half of your credits. Follow this procedure to make this request. This request will not be granted automatically. Academic Management will enrol you for all your credits until your request has been granted.

How should I pay my tuition fees?

Once you have enrolled, you will be provided with a promissory note containing a barcode to make the payment within a given period of time. Read the instructions on how to make the payment.

Discounts on the government-regulated component of tuition fees:

If you have a large-family card, you should bring the original (which must be valid on the date of the start of term) and a photocopy with you when you enrol. If you bring a personal copy, you will have to state how many brothers and sisters are included on the large-family card. If the card has expired, you will have to present a slip from the Catalan Ministry of Wellbeing and Family, or an equivalent body, as proof that you have applied to renew it and, before 31 December, you will have to submit the renewed card stating that it was valid on the date of the start of term, in accordance with current regulations.

If you are entitled to any other discount on the government-regulated component of tuition fees, you should submit the corresponding documentation as proof of your status (original and photocopy).

Important: remember that you will only be able to claim the discount in question if you submit the required documentation for the situation in question.

What does certifying proficiency in a third language mean?

Your academic transcript and European Diploma Supplement should state that you have acquired at least level B2 of a third language (English, German, French or Italian) within the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).

What is the purpose of the certification of proficiency in a third language?

It serves to certify your proficiency in this foreign language on your academic transcript and European Diploma Supplement. 

Reference links:

What is the Language Proficiency Certifying Exam (PCCL)?

The Language Proficiency Certifying Exam is designed and organised by the UPF language programme. Candidates may certify their English proficiency at level B2 or higher in different skills in different sections of the exam: grammar and vocabulary, written comprehension, listening comprehension, written expression and oral expression.

Why do I have to do the PCCL exam if I already have level B2 in English?

This exam is mandatory for all new students, unless they can certify that they have level C1 or higher in English.

When is the PCCL exam?

It will be held in September for students taking the Bachelor’s Degree in International Business and Marketing and Bachelor’s Degree in International Business and Marketing (taught in English).

How much does the PCCL exam cost?

ESCI-UPF covers the cost of this exam taken before the start of term.

Why is the PCCL exam mandatory?

To certify your current level of proficiency in English and, if you so request, to certify English as a third language.

Languages in the Bachelor’s Degree in International Business and Marketing / Bachelor’s Degree in International Business and Marketing (taught in English)

When you enrol, you must choose one of the following languages: German, Arabic, French, Japanese, Russian or Chinese.

The language courses start from level A1, so if you don't have prior knowledge, you will start from scratch. However, you may wish to study French and already have some prior knowledge. In that case, you will need to take a placement test, and the course will be adapted to the majority level, approximately between levels A2 and B1.

What day do classes start?

The introductory week runs from 9 to 12 September. Attendance is mandatory.

The mandatory PCCL exam (obligatory for all students unless you already have level C1 or higher in English) will be held in September for students taking the Bachelor’s Degree in International Business and Marketing and the Bachelor’s Degree in International Business and Marketing (taught in English).

Regular classes start on 16 September.

The first course schedule is Monday to Friday from 8:00/8:30 a.m. to 1:15/1:30 p.m.

I have a query that does not feature in the FAQs. How and when I get an answer?

Please email Academic Management or call 932.954.710